Jannson’s Temptation, or to give its original Swedish name… Jannson’s Fristelse (but who Jannson was even Google isn’t sure on that one!)
Anyway…this recipe not only looks delicious but tastes fantastic.
What you will need for this recipe:
Oven Setting: 420°f | 220°c | Gas Mark 7
Cooking time – 45 minutes
- 2 tins (100 g) anchovy fillets
- 8 medium sized potatoes (about 3lbs) thinly sliced, diced small or roughly grated
- 2 medium onions
- 15 grams or 3 teaspoons of butter
- 30 ml single cream (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons of Gluten Free Breadcrumbs
Into an buttered oven proof or baking dish, start with a layer of potatoes at the bottom and topping off with a layer of potatoes.
- Drain the anchovies well.
- Peel and cut potatoes into thin slices, strips, dice or grate them.
- Slice the onions in fine rings. Fry them gently until opaque in butter.
- Put the potatoes, onions and anchovies in layers in a buttered baking dish
- Dot rest of the butter over the top layer of potatoes. Cover with baking foil and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Pour cream on and scatter breadcrumbs over.
- After 30 minutes remove the foil and continue baking for about another 15 mins or until the potatoes are soft.
Serve with a fresh green salad or vegetables of your choice
nb. The breadcrumbs on top are not crucially necessary but they add a beautiful and traditionally authentic delicious extra.